VF48Hours Forum

Ant Timpson
Since: Mar 2011

Feed for this Topic

2012 GRAND FINALISTS & WILDCARDS

V48 Hours Grand National Finalists

The Girl With The Clover Tattoo, by team Lense Flare (One shot)
An Inconvenient Hoof, by team Picton Pictures (End of the world)
Brains?, by team Noise and Picture (Horror)
Dead Lucky by team Tuff Collective (Musical)
Seed by team thedownlowconcept (End of the world)
Kids These Days by team Gin Joints (Crime)
Brothers by team ADHDMi (Fantasy adventure)
Briefcase of Pain by team Battlesoup (Crime)
Glow by team Del Sur (Inspirational)
Wiz-nap by team Voltron & Holograms (Found footage)

SIR PETER JACKSON WILDCARD PICKS
Daylight Robbery by team Goodfellas (One shot/crime)
Love In Decay, by team Mukpuddy (Romantic comedy)
Hannah Repus by team The Outwits (One shot)

CANON BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Grand Cheval - Suck My Life - Horror
Cheeky Kiwis - Self-Contained Flat - Horror
PuppyGuts - Fetus 5000 - Found Footage
The Eh Team - Day 6 - Horror
FLIM FLOM FILMS - Do the Knight Thang - Fantasy Adventure

RIALTO CHANNEL RISING TALENT
Toasted Wolfgang - Infelicitas Action
3 Idiots and a Camera - Unwanted Guests - Crime
Colonial Tech - Silver Leaf - End of the World
JK - Lucky in Love? - One Shot + Romcom
Handcranked Productions - Blue Ice - Urban Legend

IMAGES & SOUND SEXIEST LOOKING
ADHDMi - Brothers - Fantasy Adventure
CCK - Curse Of The Warlock - Fantasy Adventure
Dust Boot - Not One Tear - Inspirational
Zebra Crossing Inc. - Fukushu (Revenge) - Fantasy Adventure
BLOOD ORANGE - One Brick, Two Brick - Action

SKINNY BEST SCHOOL TEAM
Hungry Lion Productions - Zomboy - Horror
Cunning Stunts - Man in the Mirror - Horror
Superfly - Nicky Brick and the Funky Licks - Musical/Dance
Oozy Rat In a Sanitary Zoo - There's Something Rotten In the School of Redmark - Urban Legend
Hobo Pictures - Awaiting Dawn - RomCom

LOOP BEST ORIGINAL SONG
Penguins and Pandas - Deep Into You - Inspirational
Chris Lam Sam - Dead Lucky - Musical
Team ICW - Two Tall Tales - Urban Legend
The Gentlemen's Agreement - The Wham! Initiative - Found Footage
No True Scotsman - The Ballad of Nicky Brick - Musical

LOOP BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
ADHDMi - Brothers - Fantasy Adventure
Alpaca Punch - Stain - Action
The Dutch Underground - Sockerpunch - One Shot

GAYLENE PRESTON PRESENTS BEST FEMALE DIRECTOR
Anna Duckworth - "Apple Bobbing" - Crime
Cheeky Kiwis - "Self-Contained Flat" - Horror
Francesca Jago - "Refraction" - Fantasy Adventure
Naoko Miyamoto- "Day 6" - Horror

INCREDIBLY STRANGE BEST WORST FILM
Goon - "Julie Android" - Musical
Bright Molar - "Extraction - Genesis V1" - Musical
Confusers - "Dive Dive Dance!!!" - Musical/Dance
Elite 12 Plus That Guy - "The Clown" - Horror
EQUALS SHEEP - "Barrowed Love" - One Shot

BEST ANIMATION
Mukpuddy - "Love in Decay" - RomCom
Tuff Collective - "Dead Lucky" - Musical
Readers Wives - "Love Arktually" - Rom Com
Squint Eastwood - "Lionel Fantasy VII" - Fantasy Adventure

BEST SCRIPT
Half-Shell - "Finger Bang" - Action
Ground Swell - "Whiff Takers" - Rom-Com
Noise and Pictures - "Brains?" - Horror
TBALC -"Nicky + Eve 19/5" - One Shot
Flim Flom Films - "Do the Knight Thang" - Fantasy Adventure

BEST EDITING
Team Try Hards - "The List" - Fantasy Adventure
Cheeky Kiwis - "Self-Contained Flat" - Horror
The Gentlemen's Agreement - "The Wham! Initiative" - Found Footage

BEST ACTRESS
Courtney Abbot - "Lovedumb" - Inspirational
Athene Jensen - "Whiff Takers" - Rom-Com
Lauren Wickens - "The Breaking" - End of the World
Vanessa Wells - "Fukushu (Revenge)" - Fantasy Adventure
Daniela Medina - "Chastity kills men" - Erotic or Superhero

BEST ACTOR
Will Wallace- "Glow" - Inspirational
Marten ten Broek- "Whiff Draws" - Rom-Com
Scott Ransom - "Brains?" - Horror
Scott Koorey - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" - One Shot
Steven Mosely - "Do the Knight Thang" - Fantasy Adventure

BEST ART DIRECTION
ADHDMi - "Brothers" - Fantasy Adventure
Tuff Collective - "Dead Lucky" - Musical
Dust Boot - "Not One Tear" - Inspirational
The Dutch Underground - "Sockerpunch" - One Shot
Get Your Arse To Mars - "Twin Dragon Fist: The Fistening" - Action

BEST MAKEUP
Grand Cheval - "Suck My Life" - Horror
Taktix - "Game Over" - Fantasy Adventure
The Eh Team - "Day 6" - Horror
Handcranked Productions - "Blue Ice" - Urban Legend

BEST USE OF PROP
Terminal Rise - "La Piscine Thermale" - Urban Legend
Cut 'n' Paste - "Headcase" - Horror
That's What Shihad Said - "Not Everyone's Fantasy" - Adventure/Fantasy
TBALC - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" - One Shot
Seabiscuit in the Pipe - "Hit Movie" - Musical

BEST USE OF LINE
idiotVision - "Love Story Sessions" - Romantic Comedy
Zarquons Fish - "Detention" - Horror
Strang Entertainment - "True" - Insiprational
Team Superbest Friends - "What the Neville?" - Found Footage

BEST USE OF CHARACTER
Write Club - "Lucky Girl" - Horror
Team: One Whare - "Love 'n' loathing in Suburbia" - One Shot
Moffilaide - "She's Out of This World" - RomCom
Squint Eastwood - "Lionel Fantasy VII" - Fantasy Adventure
Complex Films - "Chain Mail" - Urban Legend

Facebook - My Facebook Page
Twitter - My Twitter Page

Michael McLachlan
Since: May 2011

What an awesome night, and easily the strongest final I've ever seen! Big congrats to all the winners and a big thanks to Mukpuddy calling out NZONAIR! That, was awesome!

YouTube Page - http://www.youtube.com/user/FireandIcePictures

Feature Films -
05 - 'Hidden' - (Producer) Director Awards Toronto Rebel Fest 05, Hollywood FAIF 05, and Best Film Award Harlem IFF 05.
14 - 'Eat Some Ice Creams, Do Some Bombs!' - (Producer) Starring James Rolleston from 'Boy'. Coming 2014.

Short Films -
10 - 'Frosty Man and the BMX Kid' - (Creative Producer) World Finalist in the 'Your Big Break' Competition.

48 Hours -
07 - BSAG, 'Henrietta' (Monster) - (Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner for Best Cinematography
08 - Del Sur, 'Love In The Time Of Chlamydia' (Romance) - (Co-Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner for Best Cinematography
09 - Fire and Ice, 'CUZ' (Parallel World Movie) - (Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner V Most Extraordinary Performance (Kyle Pryor)
11 - Like Mike, 'You Muppet!' (Horror) - (Writer/Director/Producer/DOP/Post) Honourable Mention Auckland Final
12 - Del Sur, 'Glow' (Inspirational Movie) - (Produced by Team Del Sur) National Final, National Winner Best Actor (Will Wallace), and 3rd= Auckland Final
13 - Del Sur, 'Caretaker" (Horror) - (Produced by Team Del Sur) National Final and Winner Best Actress Auckland Final (Liesha Wark-Knox)

Nick Burridge
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to Jared Kahi:

Ant! Hope we get to see the Grand Final intro in the screening room soon? it was awesome!

Looks like the Herald has put it up online: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/video/news/video.cfm?c_id=1501138&gal_cid=1501138&gallery_id=126497

Jared Kahi

in reply to Nick Burridge:

Man, I don't know if it's my horrifically shit internet connection (fuck you Vodafone) but I just cant get that link to work. Is it anywhere else on the net?

Hugh Sundae
Since: Jun 2011

Sorry Jared the sync was out so I took it down.. will have a proper one up in the morning..

Cardinal

Finally made my way through all the finalist films. Some terrific stuff in there, and a well deserving winner in Noise and Pictures. Loved Mukpuddy too (although did they get the character's name wrong? Gin Joints too. Bugbear of mine!). Weird to see two such great zombie-love films popping up in the same year!

I have to say though (for those few that might still be reading this forum): I think given its output this year and the national finalist selection we got, that Christchurch was very unlucky not to have more representation in the final than it did. I hesitate to post that (since I'm aware of how sour-grapey it probably sounds), but in all honesty - totally leaving aside any ambitions we might have had for our own film this year - I'm doing it because I really want to strongly encourage everyone to get into the Christchurch screening room and watch any/all of LIONEL FANTASY VII, DAY 6, TRUE, SUPERNOVA, FUKUSHU or THE WHAM! INITIATIVE, all of which are films that really deserve a wider audience.

Nick Burridge

in reply to Hugh Sundae:

Sorry Jared the sync was out so I took it down.. will have a proper one up in the morning..

Seems to be up on Vimeo now (altho it's missing Hugh's slomo entrance as seen on the night)

Hugh Sundae
Since: Jun 2011

and finally... with the entrance..

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/video.cfm?c_id=1501119&gal_cid=1501119&gallery_id=126497

Michael Bolch

in reply to Cardinal:

I really want to strongly encourage everyone to get into the Christchurch screening room and watch any/all of LIONEL FANTASY VII, DAY 6, TRUE, SUPERNOVA, FUKUSHU or THE WHAM! INITIATIVE, all of which are films that really deserve a wider audience.

I was actually thinking of posting the exact same thing a couple of days ago. I (and others I've chatted with) feel Christchurch was overlooked/underrepresented at the grand finals, and that there were at (very) least 2 other films that could have been in the grand finals, my own team's film excluded from this opinion due to an obvious bias!

This is in no way a comment on any of the finalist films (it was definitely a crazy good final; so many great shorts!), it's just as Cardinal said: it's a real shame so many genuinely good films won't get a wider audience.

And everyone needs to check out TBALC'S (Cardinal's) film "NICKY + EVE 19/5". Definitely can't leave your own film out of that list man, was surprised when it didn't take out Christchurch!

2015 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Paper Girl" (Romantic Comedy)
2014 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Love In Reverse" (Musical)
2013 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Photobooth" (Immobolised) [CHCH Finalist]
2012 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "The 'Wham!' Initiative" (Found Footage) [CHCH Finalist+Best Editing, Original Song, Costume Design]
2011 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Cornchip" (Quest Movie) [CHCH Finalist+Best Editing]

Mista Teas

Christchurch was overlooked/underrepresented at the grand finals

Maybe, but which finalist films would they replace? Also other regions could probably feel the same. Auckland teams may feel there could easily have been more from there! We haven't seen Sinistral's film yet which seemed to be well thought of.

Would winning CHCH have helped your chances? (or the chances of any of those listed above) Or even placing? Would "An Inconvienant Hoof" still made it had not won CHCH? You'd like to think so, but who knows!

It is what it is. With only 10 spots (excluding Peter Jackson's picks) many good films are going to miss out. The National selection system is still way better than it used to be - at least now more quality films will make the GF.

Rialto Channel screens 48HR films from time-to-time which is one avenue for a wider audience.

The wider audience thing is interesting in itself as a lot of people don't get the 48HOUR fuss!! (Their education is seriously lacking!)

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Michael Bolch

in reply to Mista Teas:

Yeah I've thought all this through as well (before I posted), and as you said, Dunedin and other regions will be feeling exactly the same - considering 0 finalists - which is why I'm hesitant to comment, as it can come off quite conceited.

With a competition like this with limited places, people will miss out, and to better films. And on the other end, there are always a couple films in the final which leave you wondering what the judges saw in it that you didn't. Which I always put down to personal taste, not judge error!

I'm not saying winning regional would help anyone (I wasn't expecting our film to win CHCH, or be a grand finalist, and it did neither haha!). All I meant was that with how strong CHCH was this year, I did expect to see another CHCH film as a legitimate judge-appointed finalist.

The wider audience thing is an interesting topic though; every year after the buzz and being caught up in the world of 48 Hours, I always get a reality check with the "real world" who, as you say, don't get the fuss!

2012 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "The 'Wham!' Initiative" (Found Footage) [CHCH Finalist+Best Editing, Original Song, Costume Design]
2011 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Cornchip" (Quest Movie) [CHCH Finalist+Best Editing]

Cardinal

in reply to Mista Teas:

I am feeling the same sensitivity around posting about this as Michael is indicating above, as I'm aware that because we might have been in contention it could come across as "we didn't get in the finals, waaah!", which is not my intention. (This is a regional irritant, rather than a personal ambition one.) I also don't discount that other teams in Dunners and the Tron (and Wellington, and Auckland) are feeling similarly miffed. But I can only really go on what I've seen myself. I guess frustration is added to when we don't know how the selection works. But c'est la vie.

So all I'll say is that there were 2 films I saw in the national final I think could have been replaced by any one of about 3 or 4 of those Chch ones (discounting our own) I named above and it would have raised the overall quality of the national final. Nothing against those teams or their films - they got in and good on them, and I'm sure everyone has their own ideas about the strongest and weakest finalists - I know that opinion on film is subjective. So I guess all I'm hoping is that a few more (48HRS-invested) people might watch some Chch films (and ideally top films from ALL the regions, for exactly the same reasons) and draw their own conclusions.

Mista Teas

in reply to Cardinal:

it could come across as "we didn't get in the finals, waaah!", which is not my intention

Absolutely. And trust me when I say it's not coming across like that. I think it's a good discussion and does relate back to one of your earlier threads about the murkiness of the process.

It is a tricky one. In my opinion maybe 11 or 12 of the Auckland films could have made a strong case as a Grand Finalist and then there were another 2 or 3 behind that who missed on the Auckland final, who dare I say it would have been CHCH finalists had they entered down here.

So, what conclusions can be drawn? I dunno, apart from the feeling I get that as well as quality, some bigger picture ideas come into play when it comes to finalist selection - which I think is fine and I'm not criticising at all.

You're right too ALWAYS going to be subjective. I personally ranked and liked three or four films above Brains? as winner but there you go.

I did think that TBALC were pretty unlucky not to pick up Best Script though! That was some good story-telling.

Be good to hear some views from other regions. Not a lot in the way of comment about the finalists, winner or anything this year really. Moved on? Apathetic? What's the story?!!

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Rocket Boy

'some bigger picture ideas come into play when it comes to finalist selection - which I think is fine and I'm not criticising at all.'

What do you mean by that?

CHCH doesn't have teams full of Shortland St actors or full time animation studios or people working for Weta or making the Hobbit and that is always going to make it difficult for CHCH (and Dunedin) films to make the finals and win. Plus we didn't have anywhere enough zombie films this year.

Michael Bolch

in reply to Rocket Boy:

CHCH doesn't have teams full of Shortland St actors or full time animation studios or people working for Weta...

Personally, I don't have an issue with this. I hear this battered around quite a bit by teams and 48 Hours "outsiders" alike. I do believe there is no simple or clear-cut solution, not that I'd want there to be a solution at all.

People tend to say things like "they shouldn't allow large/professional/industry/company teams to enter", but if you start excluding or separating "professional" teams into their own category, you begin to enter into the very murky area of "What defines professional?". If you do manage to define what a "professional" team is, there will always be teams bending the rules and finding work-arounds/loop holes. This also dulls the element of friendly competition in my mind.

I (as a member of a younger team of 5) personally like the sense of friendly competition, it ensures you don't cut corners and strive to do the best you can, as that corner you cut could cost you later in the competition. Also, as I say often over 48 Hours and the heats, "Story is King". You can be up against a team of complete professionals, but if your story is great and well-told, people will take notice.

mukpuddy

in reply to Rocket Boy:

We might be a full time animation studio... but we are only 3 people with pretty sub-standard gear. But we make it work for us... because the ideas trump tools. We still work in the exact same way we used to when we started up Mukpuddy as a hobby... same sensibilities... same sense of humor... same drawing style (sort of). Only difference now is, sometimes people pay us to make things... sometimes ;)

I hate the whole "amateurs Vs professionals" thing... I really do. Trying to find a reason a film didn't make it through seems more about personal justification. When we were starting out we would NEVER have wanted to be forced in to an "amateur" category... we always want to compete against the very best. No one gets anywhere playing in their own sandbox.

Now I'm gonna go call my Mum and tell her someone called us "professional"... it's a first!! Haha.

Mukpuddy
2014: Dead End Job (Horror) - 1st Place Auckland Final / Best Animation
2012: Love In Decay (Rom Com) - PJ Wildcard / 3rd Place Grand Final
2011: Meanie Pants (Quest) - PJ Wildcard / Runner Up Auckland / 3rd Place Grand Final
2007: Camp Fear (Horror) - 1st Place Auckland Final

Hayley Marlow
Since: Jun 2012

in reply to mukpuddy:

I agree Mukpuddy - the whole discussion is irrelevant.

'Amateurs Vs Professionals' is silly.
Amatuers are just professionals in the making.

We were all Amatuers at begin with, but what some people don't realise, is that because 'Professionals' work for a film company/Studio means you most likely work UNDER/FOR someone... you don't neccessarily have creative control, infact most of the time you don't.

V48hrs is an amazing opportunity for everyone who loves and breathes film (whether professional or not) a chance to shine and show everyone what they can do ON THEIR OWN.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

SPFX Make-up for 'Brains?' - Noise and Pictures 2012

Craig

in reply to Hayley Marlow:

Well my 5c... all the finalists were very strong and the winner was a lot of fun, and the show at the Civic was well done.

However entrants in my "teams that might feel slightly robbed" category this year might include -

Artificial Nipple - Zombies, Subtitles AND a musical.

The other Best Score candidates - For including chord changes (presumably...)

Also the Goodfellas movie was cool as per usual but an interesting decision to Wildcard it with those sound FX missing.

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

I think it's only an extremely small proportion of the competitors that actually argue for the amateur vs. professional thing (it possibly seems more of a big deal because of a vocal minority on the forums), and in any case it is demonstrably a silly idea and could never work anyway (for starters, good luck finding a definition of "professional" that everyone agrees on...).

But that's not really what is being discussed here. Cardinal and Michael above are more referring to the specific case of Christchurch of this year. It was (I believe) a huge leap up from previous years in terms of the standard, and showcased a good half-dozen films which were of essentially 'professional' quality (or not far off it), with some terrific storytelling. And personally I would argue that qualitatively at least two or three of these really ought to have been in the national finalist line-up ahead of a couple that did make the cut. Just my own opinion of course (albeit one that a number of others I'm aware of share); however, I think it's the scale of the apparent exclusion which makes people wonder if it's more than just a difference of opinion with whoever makes these decisions.

I've seen the argument made on these forums that if you want to get more films from your region into the nationals, you just need to make better films. But perhaps to sum up the gist of what's being said by the Christchurch peeps here: "Okay, so we are making better films... what else are we missing?"

I want to clarify, I'm not losing any sleep over this stuff, because there were some downright fantastic films in the Grand Final. Also, for me personally the city-level competition is the most fun part, with the face-to-face interactions with other teams and the strong sense of community. And if Christchurch raised the bar a whole lot this year, I'm just hoping that it wasn't a freak one-off occurrence, and that we'll raise the bar again next year. In the meantime, I echo the recommendation for people to check out some of the other Christchurch finalists. In fact, in general I would recommend that competitors try to watch as many finalists from other regions as they can (I've seen most of Auckland's and Wellington's myself so far, and there are some real gems in there).

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "√úbermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Mista Teas

in reply to Rocket Boy:

'some bigger picture ideas come into play when it comes to finalist selection - which I think is fine and I'm not criticising at all.'What do you mean by that?

Certainly nothing to do with Amateur vs Professional as it will be a sorry day when any split in the competition occurs. Really, what's the point?

All I was suggesting was that Grand finalist selection must be damn difficult. Maybe, they view 30 films for 10 spots. Perhaps twenty of those are of equal quality so how do you decide who misses out? A straight "judges score" system - maybe but again it's likely it would all be very close. I'd imagine discussion would be had and points of difference in films would gain weight. Was it a regional winner? Did it have some exceptional acting? An original take? Was it animated etc, etc. Then with that weighed up are they left with a decent variety (genre, style etc) of films in the Grand Final list?

People on here often wonder why certain films miss out (and protest loudly!) so I'm offering one possible reason why! It was too similar to something else. I mean, otherwise we probably could have had near enough to a whole grand final full of one-shots this year.

Once more, not complaining or stirring or suggesting any conspiracy. This just seems like common sense to me. The Grand Final is also a showcase for 48HOURS so some thought has to go into the "package". That means some great films will miss out. However, 13 great films will also make it.

Craig Parkes
Since: Mar 2011

in reply to Craig:

Artificial Nipple - Zombies, Subtitles AND a musical.

I was wondering if someone would point out that coincidence... :)

To be fair overall Brains? did the zombie thing much better - not to short change ourselves given that we were nominated for best make-up in Auckland, which we're more than happy with, but Brains? had some pretty amazing make-up work given the limitation of the competition (although I imagine their zombies hadn't been writing or recording songs moments before being thrown into the make up chair). :)

It was funny watching Brains? at the Grand Finals and thinking it really is all about exceptional execution COMBINED with good ideas. The fact that enough teams can do that in a given year to make such a consistently excellent bunch of finalists is pretty mind boggling.

This topic is closed.