VF48Hours Forum

Ant Timpson
Since: Mar 2011

Feed for this Topic

2012 AUCKLAND WINNERS

Thank you to all the AK teams and congratulations to all the winners below. Prize money and certificates will all be sent out this week. We were incredibly impressed with the finals and I hope everyone felt it was an entertaining and diverse line up of shorts as we did.

FIRST PLACE - Lense Flare - "The Girl With The Clover Tattoo - "One Shot+
SECOND PLACE - ADHDMi - "Brothers" - Fantasy Adventure
THIRD PLACE = Del Sur - "Glow" - Inspirational
Downlow Concept - "Seed" - End of World

CANON Best Cinematography
Grand Cheval - "Suck My Life- "Horror

RIALTO CHANNEL Rising Talent Award
Toasted Wolfgang - "Infelicitas" - Action

IMAGES & SOUND Sexiest Looking Short
ADHDMi - "Brothers" - Fantasy Adventure

SKINNY Best School Team
Hungry Lion Productions - "Zomboy" - Horror

LOOP Best Song
Penguins & Pandas

LOOP Best Score
ADHDMi

GRADUATE MASSACRE INCREDIBLY STRANGE AWARD
Goon - "Julie Andriod" - Musical Dance

Best Art Direction
ADHDMi - "Brothers" - Fantasy Adventure

Best Female Director
Anna Duckworth - "Apple Bobbing" - Crime

Best Animation
Mukpuddy - "Love In Decay - Romantic Comedy

Best Script
Half-Shell - "Finger Bang" - Action

Best Actress
Courtney Abbot - "Lovedumb" - Inspirational

Best Actor
Will Wallace - "Glow" - Inspirational

Best Editing
Try Hards - "The List" - Fantasy Adventure

Best Makeup
Grand Cheval - "Suck My Life" -Horror

Best Use of prop
Terminal Rise - "La Piscine Thermale" - Urban Legend

Best Use of Line
idiotVision - "Love Story Sessions" - Romantic Comedy

Best Use of Character
Write Club - "Lucky Girl" - Horror

Best Disqualified
Dr Jecklyll -"Ratty Crack Bride: The Ballad Of Nicky Brick" - Urban Legend

Facebook - My Facebook Page
Twitter - My Twitter Page

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

Congrats to all the Auckland winners.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Sho Nuff
Since: Jun 2011

loved BBS! was good to see a film made by a less experienced team in the finals. although it wasn't as polished, it was definitely one of the most entertaining films of the night

overall, the standard was the highest i've ever seen. must have been real hard to judge but i think the top 4 all deserved their respective places

it's a shame that the canon camera up for grabs will be going to the winner of the best cinematography award when all the nominees looked like they had been shot by people who already own 5Ds or other high end cameras. would probably be better going to a student or novice team

stoked for will wallace as best actor

can't wait to see what the rest of the country has done

Brendon Udy
Since: May 2011

Last night's final was amazing, the quality has stepped up so much it's insane!

Huge congrats to Lense Flare, their film was stunning and definitely a must watch.

Congratulations to all the other winners! Such a great night!

Half Shell Productions:
Rialto 48 Hours 2014 - Siren's Call (Time Travel)
Rialto 48 Hours 2013 - 17:09 (Techno Thriller) - Best Makeup (Auckland), Finalist Best Makeup (National)
V48 2012 - Finger Bang (Action) - Best Script (Auckland), Finalist Best Script (National)
V48 2011 - Best Foot Forward (Rom Com)
V48 2010 - Love Game (Sports)

Previous Teams:
V48 2009 - Little Death (Musical)
V48 2008 - Misconceptions (Romance)
V48 2007 - Grind World (Grindhouse)
V48 2006 - Monster Within (Monster)

hl

awesome! congrats!!!!

2017 Permanently Confused - Snow Country for Cold Elves
H2Ow Ao-terror-oa
AFK - NZWebfest 2016 Winner

DylanReeve

Was a good night. I especially liked the free sweets from Unitec :)

The films were all great, and it was good to see a few make the finals even lacking some polish or with little mistakes - proves that the overall film is more important than everything being perfect.

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek
Fractured Radius | Auckland | Since 2003

2017 | Supernatural | Morgan's Time 2: Morgan's Fate
2015/2016 } I was doing other things...
2014 | Time Travel | Morgan's Time
2013 | Robot/Android/Cyborg | Incredibly Advanced Robotics
2012 | Fantasy Adventure | Tilting at Windmills
2011 | One Room (Quest) | The Office Quest
2010 | Musical/Dance | Professional Dancer
2009 | Musical/Dance | All's Fair
2008 | Drama | The End (Auckland Winner)
2007 | Crime | The Big Job
2006 | Action/Adventure | Three Heroes Against Terror (City Finalist)
2005 | Romance | Fruits of Passion
2004 | Action/Adventure | The Sceptre of MacGuffin (City Finalist)
2003 | Cop/Crime | Forensic Investigation Team

SidCharmer

What happened to best original soundtrack award? I think this is crucial! And while I'm at it, what happened to all the free stuff teams got as in years gone by? Free food vouchers? Gone are the good days it seems. Seems a bit rich doesn't it. Entry fee goes up every year. Entries increase each year. Yet all we get is a tray of poison. That is all. Time to do some work.

Craig Parkes

in reply to SidCharmer:

SidCharmer, free stuff always relied on sponsors generosity, not registration fees. Given the last few years economic climate decreases in swag can be put down to sponsorship becoming harder to come by more than some sort of tigt fistedness/lack of work on the organizers behalf.

Also best original song and score was awarded on the night, can't remember the winners though, so this is just a paperwork oversight I think.

Ant Timpson

Song & Score up there now

Craig is correct. There's not many sponsors who can stump up product for 10,000 participants. A $20 increase in registration fees over 8 yrs doesn't seem to
bad to me.

Facebook - My Facebook Page
Twitter - My Twitter Page

brutallyhonest
Since: May 2012

Wow, what a great night, 99% of those films were amazing, there were two films there that I tought wtf? but anywho ... I definitly thought Sinstral were robbed of something .. anything .. I mean their film was amazing!! you have to watch that, LenseFlare's was good, personally I didn't think the script was great and the award was given more so because of what they pulled off with the one-shot genre although it was clearly edited?? but the cinematography was very very good. ADHDMi, I don't know about this one, I mean it looked fantastic but to me the whole technique seemed to bore me after a while and the one-liner at the very end of the film was a tad pretentious ... BSS great from a new team, Will Wallace this guy is a legend! thedownlowconcept, now I'm guilty of attacking these because I was expecting to see the usual downlow flavour but this year they came with something different and I give it to them I really enjoyed their film, script was engaging throughout Josh is hilarious and doesn't have to try he just is, all three actors had great timing and chemistry camera work including the heli-shot were flawless and great that the heli-shot wasn't used just for the sake of it they were the right shots to tell the story - script paramount. the Wiz-nap film a definite highlight for me, they were both great actors and the simple leaf-throw was hilarious. Goodfellas, having spoken to these guys last night I was shocked to hear they only started shooting late Sunday arvo? and finishd shooting after 4pm wtf, touching on what Dylan said this film was obviously missing some technical touches but their story to me was still clear and typical Goodfellas quality. Love in decay, I have to be honest the animations to me have always felt like 'this one's for you guys over in that corner' BUT I actually enjoyed this film and found myself slightly tantalised by the female lead ...

Sinstral ... I am gutted for you guys and hoping you guys get the Wildcard you guys deserve it.
Brutal "out".

CaptainHook

Wow, so happy for the cinematography award!! There were some very nicely shot films last night and i'm quite surprised that the downlow concept wasn't a nominee for the award because their film looked fantastic!

Congrats to everyone else, some really great films. And thanks to Ant and the v48hours team again!

Taunise

in reply to brutallyhonest:

All that massive spiel and barely an offhand mention for Del Sur.

Apart from the fact that they had an amazing film overall, if there was a Best use of Genre prize, I'm sure they'd have won it hands down, it was amazing.

Grats to everyone on the night though, sweet job.

I'd love it if anyone had a suggestion on how Lens Flare did their cuts? We hypothesised that they had a massive floodlight out the window and did the time changes in camera...but it was epic. I can't wait until it's in the screening room so I can watch it again, bravo!

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

Mista Teas

in reply to SidCharmer:

Seems a bit rich doesn't it. Entry fee goes up every year. Entries increase each year. Yet all we get is a tray of poison.

V are pretty important sponsors of this. I think you're being rather mean-spirited. If you're entering for the "freebees" then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Personally, for what I get out of entering the fee is cheap.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

goodfella
Since: Jun 2012

Fantastic night watching the other films, met some cool people especially team 'Wiz-nap' and BSS director. My favs of the night would have to be TeamSinstral and thedownlowconcept respect guys.
BSssssssssss .....

c0ina

first finals in a long time where i thought each and every film deserved to be there.

the fact lense flair didn't win best cinematography for that exquisitely blocked one-shot masterpiece blows my mind. can't wait to see grand chaval's entry if it's better that that - it must be something pretty special!

unfortunately thought the lene flair script was pretty weak this year (that's after thinking they got robbed last year). 150% respect to the execution but as a rounded short on the whole thought it was not all that.

del sur's was phenomenal and what a fucking performance from the lead!! and the adhdmi cinemagraph short was something special too.

personally tho, i honestly thought thedownlowconept's movie was one of the best short films i've ever seen, inside or outside of the competition.

my picks would have been

1. thedownlowconcept
2. del sur
3. adhdmi

and lense flair for best cinematography

it's such a subjective thing tho and the overall standard of the night was pretty epic inspiration.

also special mention to big black snake and the one with the bad wizard (sorry can't remember it's name) i had a massive grin ear to ear through both of those too :D

zer05um

in reply to brutallyhonest:

I think I saw one cut in Lense Flare, but no more. That one was at the end of the slomo section. Where did you see more? All I saw was amazingly clever gaffing.

2018 [Auckland] Alt 3:57 Last Day On Earth | 3rd Place Audience Favourite
2017 [Auckland] Over-Wound Buddy / Sacrifice | Regional Nomination - Best Makeup.
2016 [Auckland] A Ripping Yarn Bro or Bechdel
2015 [Auckland] He's got the moves - Musical or Dance
2014 [Auckland] Decay Rate - Mistaken Identity
2013 [Auckland] Backup/Restore - Robots, Cyborgs & Androids
2012 [Auckland] Cherry Π - Romantic Comedy
2011 [Auckland] Things Best Forgotten - Mystery Not so much Late as completely absent...
2010 [Taranaki] Broken - Road Movie - Regional Prizes: Sound & Vision Sexiest Short | Most Realistic Moment
2009 [Hamilton] Te Hararei - Family Film - Te Reo Maori Language Film
2008 [Hamilton] 47:53:00 - Horror Late

c0ina

yeah pretty sure the only cut in lense flare's was the camera flash out of the slomo and that the rest of the transitions were done panning a light in and out of the window.

brutallyhonest

in reply to Taunise:

Im sorry i didn't realise I had to say more about that film in my "spiel" as you put it, but to be brutallyhonest the performance from Will is the only thing that stood out for me, given that his performance encapsulated the story and the shooting completely did the right thing for HIS journey what more do you want me to say? that is all
Like Seacrest - brutal "out".

Mista Teas

in reply to c0ina:

can't wait to see grand chaval's entry if it's better that that - it must be something pretty special!

http://www.v48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2012/auckland/suck-my-life/

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

zer05um

Amazed by the quality this year, with two exceptions, one redeemed by superb script and acting; the other clearly a cultural thing (ie it relied on the viewer actually finding it funny)

De La Sur: Amazing Job and beautifully executed.
Lense Flare: Cleverly done, masterful lighting control and, dear GODS, how long did that take to block out?
ADHDMi: My WTF did I just see for the evening. Superb art direction and post work.
Downlow Concept: Depature from the normal and very well handled. Wat was the aerial platform you used? Quadrotor or RC helicopter I'd guess.
Mukpuddy: As ever, loved it.

And, in general, superb work everyone. I love this event!

2018 [Auckland] Alt 3:57 Last Day On Earth | 3rd Place Audience Favourite
2017 [Auckland] Over-Wound Buddy / Sacrifice | Regional Nomination - Best Makeup.
2016 [Auckland] A Ripping Yarn Bro or Bechdel
2015 [Auckland] He's got the moves - Musical or Dance
2014 [Auckland] Decay Rate - Mistaken Identity
2013 [Auckland] Backup/Restore - Robots, Cyborgs & Androids
2012 [Auckland] Cherry Π - Romantic Comedy
2011 [Auckland] Things Best Forgotten - Mystery Not so much Late as completely absent...
2010 [Taranaki] Broken - Road Movie - Regional Prizes: Sound & Vision Sexiest Short | Most Realistic Moment
2009 [Hamilton] Te Hararei - Family Film - Te Reo Maori Language Film
2008 [Hamilton] 47:53:00 - Horror Late

brutallyhonest

in reply to zer05um:

can't say too much but there were definately cuts in there

This topic is closed.