48HOURS Forum

nimlin
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

corrupted files

hey guys how would this happen?
had all footage downloaded onto computer,had footage blocked ready for editing,computer crashed, re booted scrubbed through shot 1and 2 main character talking to extra mid shot.then played said footage which showed a complete different scene with different people a major WTF!

YouTube has my stuff

http://nz.youtube.com/nimlin

the coffee pixie has been freed! yay! all is good in the world. someone please save Nimlin!
Otaki is the centre of the universe!
(because Aunty Hira said so, and she should know)

mikedensem

Depends on the program you use; however, most editors use pointers to the actual media files and cache the previews etc. Perhaps the crash left stale cache and corrupted the pointers?

--------------------
2013 - [boo hoo - didn't participate]
2012 - The Juxtaposition - Action Movie: INFUSION
2011 - Princess Zoe Films - Fad Movie: Contra-fable-gooble 'ness
2010 - Princess Zoe Films (Rubber Tears) - Road Movie: 'Whole Wide World'
2009 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Parallel World: 'Smoke and Mirrors'
2008 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Juvenile Delinquent: 'Lipstick Karma'
2007 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Grindhouse: 'Grindhouse Day Presents'
2006 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - War/Western: 'An Unruly Patch of Land'
2005 - Team 'Imagic Mushrooms' - Pretentious Art: 'Erar Muidem'

nimlin

thanks mike
it was only the footage from the second camera that was corrupted after the crash. so after more sleep with a clear head i'm going to reload all the 2nd cameras raw footage and try a re edit and see what happens.

YouTube has my stuff

the coffee pixie has been freed! yay! all is good in the world. someone please save Nimlin!

Shifty

I don't think that was it Mike. It really was a weird one. It only effected footage from camera two. All the footage from camera one was left okay.

The devastated nimlin tried pretty much everything. Started the whole edit from sctratch a number of times creating new project files and importing the footage into new project bins which would have cured what you're saying as the new project would start with a new cashe file.

The moment any piece of footage from camera two was imported and dropped into the time line the whole thing turned to custard consequently in the end he had only one option but to compile a film from only half of the availiable footage..

Just had a thought nims, try and do some sort of rough cut only using the footage from camera 2, if you can do that without the timeline crashing then it narrows down the area where the problem lays..

2013 - Nimlin Productions - Full House - Obsessive Relationship Movie
2012 - Nimlin Productions - Hira's Tree - Urban Legend
2011 - Divide That By 9 - No Country For Fake Women - Crime
2010 - Off To The Accountant Films - The Meek Shall Inherit - Twin Movie - Regional Finalist

treefrog

Memory issue. Sounds like you have a bad stick or module.

Perhaps too much heat?

2009-2013 The 48 Hours Dunedin City Manager, all-round film geek.
2008 - 'Oh! My Gucci Boots!' - Cats of a Feather - Director -*Best Costuming
2007 - 'ARC' - Schrodghers Cat - D.O.P.
2006 - 'Scarred-The Directors Cut' - Strange Attractor - Audience Favourite

nimlin

Heat! that could be it as the computer fan was working it's little but off. once i have had a few more nana naps i will attempt a few cuts with a sound mind and if it re edits fine i will make a new movie and then ask inanely on the forums if i can hand in the new cut. (somehow sarcasm doen't work on this forum) :)

YouTube has my stuff

DylanReeve

Without knowing more about the software and specifics of the footage it's hard to say. I think some applications are probably more inclined to do this than others. They could easily become confused if there are duplicate metadata elements perhaps (perhaps as basic as two clips from different cameras having the same name)

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek
Fractured Radius | Auckland | Since 2003

2014 | Time Travel | Morgan's Time
2013 | Robot/Android/Cyborg | Incredibly Advanced Robotics
2012 | Fantasy Adventure | Tilting at Windmills
2011 | One Room (Quest) | The Office Quest
2010 | Musical/Dance | Professional Dancer
2009 | Musical/Dance | All's Fair
2008 | Drama | The End (Auckland Winner)
2007 | Crime | The Big Job
2006 | Action/Adventure | Three Heroes Against Terror (City Finalist)
2005 | Romance | Fruits of Passion
2004 | Action/Adventure | The Sceptre of MacGuffin (City Finalist)
2003 | Cop/Crime | Forensic Investigation Team

nimlin

FUCK! i think we are getting there. ok i have been editing on pinnacle studio 14 which has been taken over by Avid.
(i also have Avid studio which scares the living daylights out of me, so i am going to spend the next year learning it.)
ok my camera 1 files were folded 48hrs 2012- errol sat1. and sat 2.
camera two were folded 48hrs 2012- Alex sat1. and sat 2.
they were all working fine up to 3am sunday when the computer crashed.
all of alex camera two would work on the scrubber until i cut in and played it normaly then it would jump to another shot completely filmed by camera two.
all camera 1 errol files played perfectly.

YouTube has my stuff

mikedensem

in reply to nimlin:

can hand in the new cut

So I take it you are some how DQ'ed?

p.s. so how was your team? I was following with interest the joining of minds (nimlin, shifty). Did you have a good time (tech issues aside)?

--------------------

ryan

Did the cameras record into different file formats?

Was RyanM on the old forum.

clang

Are you saying that footage already on your NLE project was wrong when later viewed from within your NLE? Then I think your NLE project just had corrupt pointers, i.e. was pointing to the incorrect source files, either as a result or even cause of your crash.

Or are you saying the footage was wrong even when subseqently viewed from outside your NLE or added to your NLE project? Then I'd blame evil magic pixies.

nimlin

in reply to mikedensem:

no i was trying to be sarcastic but it doesn't work. we are not DQed. we handed in a film from footage off camera one.
and as for 2 warped and old minds it was perfect, shifty is one amazing person and i now have to buy his soul so that i can have him back next year.:)
be that a lesson people we may talk shit but can also become friends and learn things from each other and work together. i have met people off this forum that are now my friends. just saying

@ ryan no. shifty emailed that theory this morning.
before 48hrs started i have been editing a doco using footage and downloading said footage from both cameras over an 8 month period with no problems. and thanks for your input ryan i hold no grudges.

@ clang i also blame evil magic pixies and bob.
but also maybe aunty hira as she is a real person and an icon of Otaki who was the first woman minister at the Rangiatea Maori Church in Otaki built by Te Rauparaha and we used her name in the title of the film

and just a bit of weird shit. as i was blocking all footage before the major crash, shifty was sitting behind me talking to the team that were still awake as he never shuts up :) and he was talking about a problem he had on his computer that crashed. when he said ''crashed'' my computer crashed, (true it's not an urban myth) i re booted and swore and it all worked fine for another couple of hours and then all hell broke loose with a major crash and i broke the fuckometre.

YouTube has my stuff

dramamike

'A fuckometre' huh nimlin.
I got to get me one of these, simply so I can go off it.
That is an awesome phrase.

We were editing on a Mac using FCP X, when it crashed it lost the voice overs, everything else was fine, just those files.
Weird.

2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin

nimlin

in reply to dramamike:

i don't know where fuckometre came from but someone in the team said i just broke it. i read on the internet that there has been a high percentage of UFO sightings over nz over the weekend,i put it down to 48hr teams doing their thing. hmmm maybe not weird things have been happening to a lot of computers over the weekend. unless anybody else has any words of wisdom for me i'm going to try a few things over the next couple of days and then get back to you with the findings. thanks guys

YouTube has my stuff

Shifty

in reply to mikedensem:

So I take it you are some how DQ'ed?p.s. so how was your team? I was following with interest the joining of minds (nimlin, shifty). Did you have a good time (tech issues aside)?

Not dq'd mike we got in on time(He did say sarcasm doesn't work here:) ... )

Nimlin tried everything his very sleep deprived mind could think of at the time. In the end he cut the film using just the footage from camera one which meant a lot of very cool ECU shots couldn't be included which would have given the film a hell of a lot more impact though it still works well, well I think it will, that's up to the judges. It was pretty tough walking away and not seeing his final work especially as i won't be at the screening so I'll have to wait till it gets uploded here.

As for the joining of the efforts of north and south, I think it worked pretty bloody well considering that it was a jump in the deep end arrangement, we met only two hours before we got the genre etc..

I personally was shit scared i would let him down in the writing dept as i had no idea of the strengths of his team and how they worked as a unit..

they were all very welcoming which made it easier.

By the time we arrived at his place i had a fair idea of the film and where it would go and what sort of structure it could take.
however once walking into the place and seeing all these expectant faces my brain turned to shite and i must have sounded like someone still trying to get to grips with janet and john.

Lucky for me he'd had the wisdom and consideration to set me up with a little private space and within half an hour act 1 was done, act 2 took a little more, once act 3 was decided on as to being happy or sad then it wrote it self.. some minor tweeks on saturday as the shoot progressed.
Shoot schedule went well though a reshoot of one important scene had to be redone on Sunday morning due to sound issues

there are always hiccups escecially this year with the edit, i really felt for the guy, it was tough on him but we all got through and did the hand in around 5 I think.
can't give anything away but you'll not be seeing a comedy from us, not even slightly in any way. All character driven.

Nimlin can supply anything else to this but as for me i'd do it again in a blink.

drama mike let me down big time though, no bloody beard and no bloody hat, very disappointed

Third year for me and every year have tried to improve. first year it was me and just one other person, year two a team of 5 or 6 ameteurs who'd never done it before and this year pushing up with a team experienced in it all.

Just goes to show though, regardlees of who you are and where you come from if you work to a common goal it can be achieved and that I'm extremely glad to say is what happened.

No personality clashes, when asked to step up people did.

Toughest moment by far, 3.30 am Sunday morning.

Highlight of the weekend, that friggin cheescake from Quarter acre cafe, everyone should make a pilgrimage to that place once in their lifetime to honour the shear sublime sensation of that piece of hevean, oh and working with nimlin came a close second.

I'd just like to publically say I really appreciate being given the chance to work with those guys and gals, it was hard work but a satisfying pleasure.

2010 - Off To The Accountant Films - The Meek Shall Inherit - Twin Movie - Regional Finalist

mikedensem

in reply to Shifty:

Third year for me

Are you previous efforts online somewhere to view?

--------------------

nimlin

in reply to Shifty:

thanks shifty that means a lot.
and what are you doing online havent you got a job to finish?
hertle has been looking for you as well.
i saw neal (cheesecake) today and he said if you come back he wants to join the team :)

YouTube has my stuff

Shifty

in reply to mikedensem:

Are you previous efforts online somewhere to view?

In there lays a story Mike, nope there isn't..
The first year i tried everything i could to upload the damn thing to the screening room via either youtube or vimeo and nothing worked, it just refused point blank to do so, in the end I gave up, very diappointed as it made the finals. It was written, shot and edited in 8 hours, wheew..

As for last year, that was a a hairy experience. I shall put it this way, tempers flared to a point where divorce between the leads looked on the cards and I'm pretty sure there was a coming together of fists at some stage saturday night. as i wasn't team leader the film was out of my hands to upload and I still don't have a copy of it,

Have you any idea of just how hard it is to get two people to act romantically when they've just been fighting like crazy.. that'll test your endurance as a cameraman and directer. :))))

regardless though i still made sure it was finished and handed in. where it is now i have no idea, I tried contacting the people involved but never got any response.

At least this year i can rely on Nimlin to do it properly.

nimlin

ok guys camera 2 file had an evil little corruption i started a new project and put cam 2 file into new footage and it crashed. have taken out both folders of cam two footage, re named them and put into new folder. old folder had a leftover file that as soon as i touched it, it crashed. have now killed said leftover file and am now doing a scan disk and defrag. stay tuned

YouTube has my stuff

nimlin

scandisk killed the computer. am i having fun yet?

YouTube has my stuff

Shifty

I think it's time to call it quits and just get rid of the stuff nimlin,

Either that or just export his entire footage off as an AVI, delete all of the raw footage and import the new AVI and see if that works..

Don't temp fate too much by pissing about with the original, the comp is over, clear the decks!

Please login to post a reply.

or Login with Facebook