48HOURS Forum

NITRO
Since: Mar 2011

Feed for this Topic

Wellington 2012 Q&A Forums at The Paramount

We're running a series of six Q&A forums this year in the three week leading up to the V48HOURS weekend

These will be located in the front lobby area of The Paramount and run for about an hour each.

Everyone is welcome, but please note that we really only have space for 1 or 2 people from each team in each session. It's a good idea if team leaders pick those who will get the most from each one and take that info back to your team.

To help teams get the best out of them we're running 6 sessions, all focused on different aspects of the film making process.

1) 48's Survival Guide - Sunday April 29 4pm

This is a general session about Shoot Weekend Strategies. We'll be talking about Logistics, different experiences, how to use your time well, even ideas for food and making sure stuff goes right for you

This session is aimed at Producers, Director, Team Leaders, and especially new teams

2) Workflow & technology - Tuesday May 1 - 8pm

This session will cover the technical process of putting a film together and getting the best from the gear you have available. We'll be looking at Editing techniques and tips, File formats, ingesting, conforming, and transcoding. and things to do while you're shoot to make sure your editor spend more time telling a story and less time fixing things up

Come along to this if you're an Editor, Producer or DOP.

3) Tail wagging the dog - Sunday May 6 - 4pm

The third session is all about Story development & writing tricks, directing techniques to give your editor good material, shooting and editing for pace, timing and story telling in the edit.

It's aimed at: Directors, Writers and Editors

4) Missing your own foot - Tuesday May 8 - 8pm

This session is all about the shooting process. We'll talk about Shooting for the Editor, Composing Shots and Lighting, Camera tricks, DOF, Pulling Focus Audio, How to use ADR effectively, Recording and Using Foley, and putting music to the film

This session is aimed at Directors, Camera Ops, Gaffers and DoPs

5) Dressed up with no where to go? - Sunday May 13 - 4pm

If you're wanting tips and tricks on making your film look really good, then come along to talk about Set dressing, set lighting, Costuming, what makes a good locations, and what makes a location good!

The info in this session will suit DoP's, Location managers, Art Directors, and Grips

6) Smoke and mirrors - Tuesday May 15 - 8pm

This session is one for the brave, the dedicated, the insane, the messy and those who wanna do something really impressive. We'll be looking at how you can use Physical Effects and tricks, do stuff with Makeup and Wardrobe that is simple and super effective, and we'll be sharing stories about producing very effective improvised Special Effects without soaking up huge amounts of case or time

This will be a god session for those closet pyros, DoPs, Editors, Makeup, wardrobe, effects guys, and anyone with a latex fetish

The Paramount is the best friend of the Forums

These forums have been held at the Paramount a number of times now, and they always welcome us back. This year we're using their space a lot more than usual, and so I highly recommend that you turn up a bit early and buy yourself a coffee or hot chocolate, or a delicious can of V.

You could even make an evening of it and check out a movie before or after the forum!

this sig intentionally left blank - youtube
sponsored by photogear and fueled by fuel espresso … just need a pizza sponsor now :D

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

Legend!
I went to an evening for newbies a few years back and it was so useful.
I'll be coming to most of these!

2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin

clang

I am moist with anticipation...

As a one-person team, I guess I should try to attend all the sessions :)

NITRO

only if you check with yourself and make sure that your not missing out by doing that. I'd hate to see your team come to blows over it... on the other hand it could be entertaining...

sponsored by photogear and fueled by fuel espresso … just need a pizza sponsor now :D

dramamike

If the other hand is entertaining its probably best if you stay away until its finished.

ShadowGhost

Cool, I wish I'd known about these when I started.

Formally "TechnicalShadow" (or what ever spelling I used)

NITRO

That's why where doing 'em ;)

NITRO

Hey all. The first session is this Sunday at 4pm. Highly recommended for all new teams... and all the other teams too

Chris
Since: Apr 2012

Looks good, is there an Auckland one?

NITRO

Most years there is - Hopefully Ant or Cookie can answer this?

NITRO

Thanks to all those that came along this evening - was a good event!

The next one is on Tuesday - See you there.

ShadowGhost

2) Workflow & technology - Tuesday May 1 - 8pm

This session will cover the technical process of putting a film together and getting the best from the gear you have available. We'll be looking at Editing techniques and tips, File formats, ingesting, conforming, and transcoding. and things to do while you're shoot to make sure your editor spend more time telling a story and less time fixing things up

Come along to this if you're an Editor, Producer or DOP.

Tomorrows forum looks interesting - I'm still trying work out the best way to go with workflow. I will be interesting to see how other people have approached this issue.
Now all I need to do is work out how I can sneak out the house and go to this, without the wife knowing. :-)

Formally "TechnicalShadow" (or what ever spelling I used)

NITRO

Tonight's Wellington team Q&A session at the paramount is cancelled due to timing and scheduling issues, but this Sunday at 4pm will be all on!

We'll include workflow and trch into Sunday as well, so see you there!

dramamike

I seriously like the look of this discussion topic for Sunday.
Story is king.
I know that its one area that our team are looking to improve in.
Nitro, count me in!

UTH Prod
Since: May 2012

A walk in the rain to the Paramount last night - only to find it cancelled...
See you on Sunday!

NITRO

yeah sorry about that, not a lot of option though.

See you there tomorrow for the story session tomorrow - and tuesday will be a great one for people wanting to know how to follow some basic principles in the shooting process to make sure all of your edit time is used for edit.

dramamike

Cheers Nitro, Dan and co.
Took away a couple of ideas.

NITRO

Found this clip on youtube. Covers some good basic's for those looking for ideas on how to use camera motion.

NITRO

Here's another explaining different Shot Types

NITRO

Some good basic 3-Point lighting info and demo

NITRO

... and a little more you can do with those lights to change the effect

Please login to post a reply.

or Login with Facebook