48HOURS Forum

hl
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Reviewerds

Want to put it out there. Different films for different folks. But do we need to stoop to low levels of insults in the reviewing room? Short films made in 2 days is an achievement on its own.

I came into the comp to make a movie and have fun. Not deal with other people's personal anger issues.

Year 0

c0ina

yeah, but, what're you going to do? there's not really any way of policing it (short of moderating - but then where do you draw the line?) and harsh reviews are definitely better than no reviews imho.

Alastair / twitter: @c0ina & @hybridmovies facebook: hybridmovies

2014 - POLYPHONY by Hybrid Motion Pictures (Director, Producer, DOP) City Finalist, Audience Favourite
2013 - PARALYSIS by Hybrid Motion Pictures (Director, Producer) / PJ Wild Card, Grand Finalist, Best Cinematography
2012 - SURCEASE by Hybrid Motion Pictures (Director, Producer)
2011 - ROUNDELAY by Hybrid Motion Pictures (Director, Producer, Co-Writer)
2010 - CHICANE by Hybrid Motion Pictures (Director, Producer, Co-Writer) / City Finalist, Best Cinematography, Best Use Of Line
2009 - TO HAVE AND TO HOLD by Hybrid Motion Pictures (Producer, Finishing Editor)
2008 - DANCE-O-LUTION by Hybrid Motion Pictures (Producer & Finishing Editor)
2007 - DIE, LESBIAN VAMPIRES! by Hydra Motion Pictures (Producer, DOP & Editor) / Late
2006 - 16 BULLETS by Hydra Motion Pictures (Producer & Editor) / City Finalist, Runner Up, Best Screenplay, Audience Favourite
2005 - CASE OF THE TLUC by Expuls (Editor)
2004 - ICE HIEST by Expuls (Editor)

hl

constructive reviews/harsh reviews - fine.
being mean - not so fine.

Year 0

Taunise
Since: May 2011

in reply to hl:

It's the wild west in there, there's not much way to moderate it unless someone sits down and deletes them manually.

Take the constructive reviews, ignore the horrible ones, and move on :) Thumb them down if you like, to let people know what you thought.

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com

More about Toowit Toowoo

c0ina

in reply to hl:

constructive reviews/harsh reviews - fine.
being mean - not so fine.

oh, look, i completely agree, and i'm certainly not making excuses for anyone being an arsehole.

i just think there's no way you can stop them.

they should be EXPECTED, and then promptly ignored :)

haters gonna hate!

2014 - POLYPHONY by Hybrid Motion Pictures (Director, Producer, DOP) City Finalist, Audience Favourite
2013 - PARALYSIS by Hybrid Motion Pictures (Director, Producer) / PJ Wild Card, Grand Finalist, Best Cinematography
2010 - CHICANE by Hybrid Motion Pictures (Director, Producer, Co-Writer) / City Finalist, Best Cinematography, Best Use Of Line
2009 - TO HAVE AND TO HOLD by Hybrid Motion Pictures (Producer, Finishing Editor)
2007 - DIE, LESBIAN VAMPIRES! by Hydra Motion Pictures (Producer, DOP & Editor) / Late
2006 - 16 BULLETS by Hydra Motion Pictures (Producer & Editor) / City Finalist, Runner Up, Best Screenplay, Audience Favourite

DylanReeve

It can be doubly hard also because what someone says honestly could be perceived very negatively by the team involved. I like to just go with the "fools! They simply don't understand us" approach when reading the reviews :)

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek
Fractured Radius | Auckland | Since 2003

2014 | Time Travel | Morgan's Time
2013 | Robot/Android/Cyborg | Incredibly Advanced Robotics
2012 | Fantasy Adventure | Tilting at Windmills
2011 | One Room (Quest) | The Office Quest
2010 | Musical/Dance | Professional Dancer
2009 | Musical/Dance | All's Fair
2008 | Drama | The End (Auckland Winner)
2007 | Crime | The Big Job
2006 | Action/Adventure | Three Heroes Against Terror (City Finalist)
2005 | Romance | Fruits of Passion
2004 | Action/Adventure | The Sceptre of MacGuffin (City Finalist)
2003 | Cop/Crime | Forensic Investigation Team

DonnieDarko

in reply to hl:

"48 hours, in which to make a film" You got something on the screen and that's a huge achievement. It's not so much about the finished product, although it does help to have something you're proud of, after all the hard work. It's about what you learned along the way. Those things that will make you a better film maker.
Screw what others think of your film. Take the criticism you will learn from and ignore the idiots. Hey.... at least your film got a reaction, must of touched a raw nerve somewhere along the way???

2011 - "Gooseville" - Crime
2010 - "The Separation of Sidney Manson"
Auckland Finalist - 2 nominations - Won Best Art Direction.
2009 - "How to make friends without actually meeting people"
6 nominations - National Winner - "sexiest looking short"
2007 - "The History of the Apee"
After Effects Animation - Commissioned by Ant for screening at the Auckland Finals.

Michael McLachlan

So what she/he keeps talking about you and hating on you. What do you think a hater's job is...to hate. If you have someone hating on you right now you better think of how to get five more people hating by Christmas. You need haters to make you stronger..without haters most people wouldn't try to become better. Just tell them bitch you just hate me because you can't be me.
- Katt Williams

YouTube Page - http://www.youtube.com/user/FireandIcePictures

Feature Films -
05 - 'Hidden' - (Producer) Director Awards Toronto Rebel Fest 05, Hollywood FAIF 05, and Best Film Award Harlem IFF 05.
14 - 'Eat Some Ice Creams, Do Some Bombs!' - (Producer) Starring James Rolleston from 'Boy'. Coming 2014.

Short Films -
10 - 'Frosty Man and the BMX Kid' - (Creative Producer) World Finalist in the 'Your Big Break' Competition.

48 Hours -
07 - BSAG, 'Henrietta' (Monster) - (Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner for Best Cinematography
08 - Del Sur, 'Love In The Time Of Chlamydia' (Romance) - (Co-Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner for Best Cinematography
09 - Fire and Ice, 'CUZ' (Parallel World Movie) - (Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner V Most Extraordinary Performance (Kyle Pryor)
11 - Like Mike, 'You Muppet!' (Horror) - (Writer/Director/Producer/DOP/Post) Honourable Mention Auckland Final
12 - Del Sur, 'Glow' (Inspirational Movie) - (Produced by Team Del Sur) National Final, National Winner Best Actor (Will Wallace), and 3rd= Auckland Final
13 - Del Sur, 'Caretaker" (Horror) - (Produced by Team Del Sur) National Final and Winner Best Actress Auckland Final (Liesha Wark-Knox)

hl

i dont mind if people were taking the micky out of each other in good jest, but not being mean.

but yes, point taken guys. cheers

fyi - not talking about our film in particular.

Year 0

Taunise

in reply to hl:

what was your film, out of curiosity?

More about Toowit Toowoo

hl

stuck in the mini :)

Year 0

Taunise

in reply to hl:

Aah yes! I remember that. In any other heat that would have gotten an audience favorite hands down, you ended up in a tough heat my friend! Good luck with audience faves.

More about Toowit Toowoo

mikedensem

There is also some rather extreme language being used - which is annoying.

--------------------
2013 - [boo hoo - didn't participate]
2012 - The Juxtaposition - Action Movie: INFUSION
2011 - Princess Zoe Films - Fad Movie: Contra-fable-gooble 'ness
2010 - Princess Zoe Films (Rubber Tears) - Road Movie: 'Whole Wide World'
2009 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Parallel World: 'Smoke and Mirrors'
2008 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Juvenile Delinquent: 'Lipstick Karma'
2007 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Grindhouse: 'Grindhouse Day Presents'
2006 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - War/Western: 'An Unruly Patch of Land'
2005 - Team 'Imagic Mushrooms' - Pretentious Art: 'Erar Muidem'

Shifty

Probably those people handing out the brickbats with a heavy hand do so in the mistaken belief that the judges will read the reviews and somehow that will influence them in their decision..
When i get to do mine you can assure yourself I'll be doing it under my name here and not a new name that I can hide behind..
Play nice people, 95% of the films are going to glaring mistakes and cock ups, the last thing we need to do is put teams off entering again because even after shelling out what is quite a lot of money for some to enter they then work their arses off to the best of their ability only to get the mean and nasty from people they don't know hiding behind anonymous names..

Most people know where they fucked up..

2013 - Nimlin Productions - Full House - Obsessive Relationship Movie
2012 - Nimlin Productions - Hira's Tree - Urban Legend
2011 - Divide That By 9 - No Country For Fake Women - Crime
2010 - Off To The Accountant Films - The Meek Shall Inherit - Twin Movie - Regional Finalist

treefrog

City Managers have moderation over the boards,
so if its too heavy handed or just outright bloody mean, its over-rover.

No kiss, no story. Off to bed.

2009-2013 The 48 Hours Dunedin City Manager, all-round film geek.
2008 - 'Oh! My Gucci Boots!' - Cats of a Feather - Director -*Best Costuming
2007 - 'ARC' - Schrodghers Cat - D.O.P.
2006 - 'Scarred-The Directors Cut' - Strange Attractor - Audience Favourite

clattybella

Always suspicious of reviewers that slam every short in a heat bar one - which gets 5 stars and a glowing review - Makes you wonder which team they were on?

Touching Cloth Productions
(Formerly Spin Productions)
Taranaki/Hamilton
2013 - Night Vision - The Horror Movie
2012 - The Shoe Box - Inspirational Movie
2011 - The Ex Factor - Rom Com
2010 - Separate Ways - Twin Movie
2009 - New Zealand's Next Top Bomber - Politically Incorrect
2008 - One Way Ticket - Time Travel
2007 - Mother Says - Educational

ryan

Constructive criticism - or criticism for a reason is great, but we have a review that states: 1 Star, Why? Who knows.

How is that good? personally I don't really care - but I don't want people in my team to see their reviews as it does leave a foul taste in your mouth when people are overly negative and might lead people to not want to participate in the future. Of course they can get over it in a year, and should toughen up... But still.

The old system where you reviewed in the forums was good because you knew most people and also had the ability to discuss the results. The current system encourages trolls. Perhaps force it to tie to a facebook id?

Was RyanM on the old forum.

Michael McLachlan

Facebook ID is a great idea! If people are brave enough to lay the smack down with a review they should be brave enough to put a face to that review as well. :)

YouTube Page - http://www.youtube.com/user/FireandIcePictures

Feature Films -
05 - 'Hidden' - (Producer) Director Awards Toronto Rebel Fest 05, Hollywood FAIF 05, and Best Film Award Harlem IFF 05.
14 - 'Eat Some Ice Creams, Do Some Bombs!' - (Producer) Starring James Rolleston from 'Boy'. Coming 2014.

Short Films -
10 - 'Frosty Man and the BMX Kid' - (Creative Producer) World Finalist in the 'Your Big Break' Competition.

48 Hours -
07 - BSAG, 'Henrietta' (Monster) - (Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner for Best Cinematography
08 - Del Sur, 'Love In The Time Of Chlamydia' (Romance) - (Co-Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner for Best Cinematography
09 - Fire and Ice, 'CUZ' (Parallel World Movie) - (Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner V Most Extraordinary Performance (Kyle Pryor)
11 - Like Mike, 'You Muppet!' (Horror) - (Writer/Director/Producer/DOP/Post) Honourable Mention Auckland Final
12 - Del Sur, 'Glow' (Inspirational Movie) - (Produced by Team Del Sur) National Final, National Winner Best Actor (Will Wallace), and 3rd= Auckland Final
13 - Del Sur, 'Caretaker" (Horror) - (Produced by Team Del Sur) National Final and Winner Best Actress Auckland Final (Liesha Wark-Knox)

c0ina

what about me... i don't use facebook, but would love to be able to contribute contructive reviews!

Nick Burridge

in reply to Michael McLachlan:

Facebook ID is a great idea! If people are brave enough to lay the smack down with a review they should be brave enough to put a face to that review as well. :)

Some people really really hate Facebook.

I hear what you're saying guys, and moving to a registration-only system this year was supposed to help prevent floods of negative anonymous reviews (which we surprisingly didn't get that many of last year) - but let's not get carried away and overstate the problem. If anyone has a really big problem with a particular reviewer, contact me or Ant and we'll look into it (trying to stay on top of them as they come in but there's so many...) but the knee-jerk reaction of ban-everyone real-names-only does everyone a disservice I think.

Taunise

in reply to Nick Burridge:

Could we maybe employ the use of some volunteer moderators who are generally sensible for the reviews database? Maybe if people can "Flag" innapropriate reviews and there's a few people who can remove them (ie remove doubles, remove ones which make no sense or are obviously simply profane etc)?

I'm one of the anti-facebook people. And what's to stop people from making a phony facebook account?

More about Toowit Toowoo

Please login to post a reply.

or Login with Facebook