LENSE FLARE -"Copy That" - ROAD
MO APPRECIATION COLLECTIVE - "Circus Animals" - ONE ROOM
MUKPUDDY - "Meanie Pants"- QUEST
ONE HUNDRED & $95 WORTH - "urban etikit"- FAD
PICKLE THUGS - "Nearest and Dearest" - CRIME
ROGER HARPER EXPERIENCE - "Let's Be Friends" - CRIME
SHONKY PRODUCTIONS -"48 Hours" - MYSTERY
SLURPEDO- "Midday (Or Sometime After 11)" - FAD

Some fantastic films listed, though there are a few I was dissapointed to see missing and some I was very surprised to see up there. Was John disqualified somehow? It was a real shock not to see it up there. Also dissapointed for Haynesfilm, who made an awesome short! Congrats to the finalists!

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com

More about Toowit Toowoo

DonnieDarko
Since: Apr 2011

Lord, I must be tired!!!!

2011 - "Gooseville" - Crime
2010 - "The Separation of Sidney Manson"
Auckland Finalist - 2 nominations - Won Best Art Direction.
2009 - "How to make friends without actually meeting people"
6 nominations - National Winner - "sexiest looking short"
2007 - "The History of the Apee"
After Effects Animation - Commissioned by Ant for screening at the Auckland Finals.

DonnieDarko

in reply to Michael McLachlan:

Good on you!!! Unfortunately we need the commissions dollars. Hate relying on people who I don't know and have never even seen any of the work they've produced.
Might be the year I have to do the humble, brown nose bit and go along and introduce myself etc.
I mean, our works damn good (except this year we tanked) ran out of time and what we had just didn't come together. That's 48 for ya!!! and everyone's in the same boat.
If you have time, have a look at our last years entry. I warn you now....It's serious.
2010 was a good year of shorts. The Auckland finals last year were better than the Nationals... I'm assuming that's why the rules have been changed.
I'm halfway through a script to submit to the mighty commish...aghh....hate having to do the film com thing...JUST SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!! and let me get on with it.

After Effects Animation - Commissioned by Ant for screening at the Auckland Finals.

Michael McLachlan
Since: May 2011

in reply to DonnieDarko:

Umm do we need their dollars? I think its one source and there are so many others out there. We raised a decent amount of money for our current feature from private investors and I know friends who have raised nearly tripple what we did for theirs. So it can be done. But at the same time it would be silly not to at least approach them about investment in projects.

Also my advice is don't go in with the 'brown nose' mind set as at the end of the day we are film makers, they are a film funding body, and neither of us should be seen as above the other. Go in there with a project you are really happy with, not one thats half assed, and really back it! They're just people like us after all. :) But yes get on well with them as at the end of the day all business as about personal relationships. :)

Also very cool film from last year!

YouTube Page - http://www.youtube.com/user/FireandIcePictures

Feature Films -
05 - 'Hidden' - (Producer) Director Awards Toronto Rebel Fest 05, Hollywood FAIF 05, and Best Film Award Harlem IFF 05.
14 - 'Eat Some Ice Creams, Do Some Bombs!' - (Producer) Starring James Rolleston from 'Boy'. Coming 2014.

Short Films -
10 - 'Frosty Man and the BMX Kid' - (Creative Producer) World Finalist in the 'Your Big Break' Competition.

48 Hours -
07 - BSAG, 'Henrietta' (Monster) - (Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner for Best Cinematography
08 - Del Sur, 'Love In The Time Of Chlamydia' (Romance) - (Co-Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner for Best Cinematography
09 - Fire and Ice, 'CUZ' (Parallel World Movie) - (Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner V Most Extraordinary Performance (Kyle Pryor)
11 - Like Mike, 'You Muppet!' (Horror) - (Writer/Director/Producer/DOP/Post) Honourable Mention Auckland Final
12 - Del Sur, 'Glow' (Inspirational Movie) - (Produced by Team Del Sur) National Final, National Winner Best Actor (Will Wallace), and 3rd= Auckland Final
13 - Del Sur, 'Caretaker" (Horror) - (Produced by Team Del Sur) National Final and Winner Best Actress Auckland Final (Liesha Wark-Knox)

DonnieDarko

in reply to Michael McLachlan:

Thanks for that. We got the "sexiest looking short" the year before. We seem to be going backwards ( I jest....I think??? )
Have you any links to your work? and do you only work with your brother as a team? Also... are you submitting this year for the Fresh Shorts? as I'm looking for a Producer, an experienced one.
I Produce and write, but writing's my passion. If you're interested I'll send you the script and as this isn't quite the forum for such things would you post your email address. Cheers.
PS. Only joking about the "brown nose" I don't do that for anyone for any reason!!!

Michael McLachlan

in reply to DonnieDarko:

Check out our youtube channel fireandicepictures to see some of our stuff. Also send me a messgae through that and I'll forward my e-mail address that way. I get enough junk spam as it is and posting it in a forum might add to the mix. :)

YouTube Page - http://www.youtube.com/user/FireandIcePictures

Feature Films -
05 - 'Hidden' - (Producer) Director Awards Toronto Rebel Fest 05, Hollywood FAIF 05, and Best Film Award Harlem IFF 05.
14 - 'Eat Some Ice Creams, Do Some Bombs!' - (Producer) Starring James Rolleston from 'Boy'. Coming 2014.

Short Films -
10 - 'Frosty Man and the BMX Kid' - (Creative Producer) World Finalist in the 'Your Big Break' Competition.

48 Hours -
07 - BSAG, 'Henrietta' (Monster) - (Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner for Best Cinematography
08 - Del Sur, 'Love In The Time Of Chlamydia' (Romance) - (Co-Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner for Best Cinematography
09 - Fire and Ice, 'CUZ' (Parallel World Movie) - (Producer) Auckland Final and National Winner V Most Extraordinary Performance (Kyle Pryor)
11 - Like Mike, 'You Muppet!' (Horror) - (Writer/Director/Producer/DOP/Post) Honourable Mention Auckland Final
12 - Del Sur, 'Glow' (Inspirational Movie) - (Produced by Team Del Sur) National Final, National Winner Best Actor (Will Wallace), and 3rd= Auckland Final
13 - Del Sur, 'Caretaker" (Horror) - (Produced by Team Del Sur) National Final and Winner Best Actress Auckland Final (Liesha Wark-Knox)

DonnieDarko

in reply to Vanessa Cater:

Totally agree with you.
Very plain concept which they turned into a quirky, strange and different film.
I thought that's what 48 was about.
But I'm not a judge and they obviously thought others were better... not having seen any of the others (except Mukpuddy) I can't comment on their mindset.
But, well done Sinistral... loved the ending!!!

Stanislavski

in reply to Tom Furniss:

Tom I am so glad your film won tonight.

I told ya so....earlier in this thread. Yours was the pick of the bunch.
You blimmen deserve it. Brilliant original idea and treatment was on the money.

Congratulations, what a great film you guys made.
Faith restored.

Party it up.

themorgan

That was a fucking great final. Congrats to everyone who placed, and to everyone who won something.

(That bloody spotlight though, eh?)

Frauleins, oh frauleins / Ladies, oh ladies
2014 | Musical | I am ball | Hero
2013 | Race Against Time | Crybaby | Hero
2012 | Urban Legend | Super Urban Legendary Adventure | Hero
2011 | Revenge | Kill Therapist | Hero (Polarising)
2010 | Biopic | Action Manu | Writer, Director, Ham

Fractured Radius / Team Squeegee
2009 | Musical/Dance | All's Fair | Co-Writer
2008 | Drama | The End | Co-Writer, Ham (Auckland winner)
2003 | Cop/Crime | F.I.T. | Peripheral

Joseph Moore

Wow what an awesome night. Been to a few Auckland finals and that was most definitely the best, in my opinion. Grand Cheval's film is a charming and hilarious film with wonderful characters and I was stoked to see it win.

Was also blown away by Clinky's Robo Revenge, which was one of the most creative and crowd-pleasing 48hours films I've ever seen. Lense Flare's was so slick and cinematic. Every movie was. What a sexy, entertaining bunch of movies.

This was the first time my team has had a (non-late) film not make the regional finals, and I expected to feel a little bitter/twisted/left-out while watching them. This couldn't have been further from the case. Not a single film tonight stood out to me as unworthy. Ultimately, after seeing what everyone was capable of in that time frame - all it did was make me want to be a better filmmaker.

Thanks, people in charge for putting on such an awesome event once again. I haven't seen any of the other finalists, but I wouldn't be surprised if a solid percentage of the Grand Final is made up of tonight's incredible line-up.

Good shit.

Prime Rib
2011: Tagalongs
2010: Life in the Bus Lane Auckland Finalist
2009: Wet Impact Late
2008: About a Bug Late
2007: Bookcase Wellington Finalist
2006: Gunther and Me Wellington Finalist

Joseph Moore

For those interested. Here are the results I remember. I imagine certain people with more official information might be having a well deserved beer and will post results in the morning. Some of us, I'm not saying who, were feeling ill and went home right after.

Winner: Grand Cheval - The Child Jumpers
Runner Up: Mukpuddy - Meanie Pants
Actor: Tom Furniss - The Child Jumpers
Actress: Lead Actress from Idiotvision's Headshot
Cinematography/Editing: Pickle Thugs - Nearest & Dearest
Art Direction/Use of Prop: Mo Appreciation Collective - Circus Animals
Use of Line: Bald Faced Cheek - Choir in the Blood

There were heaps of others. A few won by non-finalists that I wasn't familiar with. Like sexiest short and Best Character.

Prime Rib

kmb

joey's pretty much hit the nail on the head with how i feel about this year's final as well...

my team was lucky enough to win best dq'd film... but i'm not sure if we would have made the finals if we'd got it in on time... all the finalists were amazing...

i'm so stoked that pickle thugs were recognised as much as they were... loved their film more the second time around...

same with grand cheval's film... great characters... hilarious... but so emotionally engaging...

loved idiotvision's entry... i've heard people say it's not as good as their last year's effort... but i thought it was better... i prefer the realistic storyline... these guys should make a feature length rom-com...

loved robo revenge... every year there's a team that makes a 48hours film that makes me think, "i wish i'd thought of that"... this was that for me this year... genius...

i wouldn't be surprised if the nationals are stacked with auckland films...

2014 - Steve - 'Egg Hut' (AKL)
Audience Favourite (Heat 5)
2013 - Hibernation - 'Egg House' (AKL)
Audience Favourite (Heat 6), City Best Make-Up Nomination (Chelsea Ross), City & National Finalist
2012 - The Wiz-Nap - 'Voltron And The Holograms' (AKL)
Audience Favourite (Heat 17), City Best Actor & Actress Nominations (Jamaine & Chelsea Ross), City & National Finalist
2011 - A Letter To A Samurai - 'We'll Change This Later' (AKL)
City Best Disqualified Film
2010 - Pam's First Day - 'Face Spiders' (AKL)
Audience Favourite Runner Up (Heat 4)
2009 - Beard Spread - 'Just Cromulent' (AKL)
Audience Favourite (Heat 10) & City Best Actress Nomination (Chelsea Beckett)
2008 - Animal House - 'The Furious Team Of Doom... & Justice... But Mainly Doom' (AKL)
Audience Favourite Runner Up (Heat 17)
2007 - On The Level - 'High Four' (WLG)

Joseph Moore

in reply to kmb:

i'm so stoked that pickle thugs were recognised as much as they were... loved their film more the second time around...

Agree with this as well. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I didn't agree with their inclusion or whatever after the finalists were announced. Watching it the second time I was able to look past the (granted, well acted) kids playing cops element and see what an exceptionally crafted film it was. Well done, Pickle Thugs. Consider my words eaten.

Prime Rib

Conan the Barbarian

in reply to Joseph Moore:

I'd like to echo the sentiments of those above! I was absolutely blown away by the final this year (not that I wasn't blown away last year as well). All the other finalists were stunning and absolutely inspiring, congratulations.

Well done kmb for your prize! Your film is fantastic and I was happy to see it recognised.

I feel humbled to have been a part of that final. Final congrats to Mukpuddy and Grand Cheval for two of the most jawdropping entries I have ever seen in the comp. Hope you are all partying through the night

I'm still buzzing :D

Slurpeedo Productions
2012 - Last Will and Testament - Found Footage (late)
Slurpedo
2011 - Midday (Or Sometime After 11) - Fad Movie (auckland finals???)
2010 - Scared Sexless - Sexual Education

Nick Burridge

Would just like to add my 'yeah amazing final!' to those who have already written way more useful/coherent write-ups... I can't think of a film that didn't deserve to be in there, and my god Grand Cheval's was good. Can I suggest a planking + chumping combo? (= plumping?).

Off to sober up in ze bed now. Will see you at the grand finale.

Please login to post a reply.

or Login with Facebook